30th July 2018


If you have college accommodation…

Generally, college accommodation as of good quality, most of them are inside or close to your College, and problems are sorted out fairly quickly by informing the Porters or contacting College Maintenance directly. The kitchen facilities are normally good and usually there are laundry facilities too.

Before you arrive, you should have been told where you are living, how much it will cost per term, per month or per week, and when you can move in. On arrival in Cambridge, you should normally go to the Porters’ Lodge of your college, where you can collect you room keys. It may be possible for international students to move into your accommodation before the start of term- you should check and arrange this with your college.

If you do not have college accommodation (including temporary accomodation/ accommodation outside term time)…

Should you choose to stay in Cambridge over the holiday (Christmas break, Easter Break or in the Summer), you should arrange for accommodation in advance. Some colleges may allow international students to stay over the holidays- again you should check and arrange this with your own colleges. During term time, most undergraduate students will have their accommodation covered by their colleges. Graduate students on the other hand may only have limited provision of housing (eg. college accommodation provided in their first year). Below are some advices regarding accommodation search:

Where to look for accommodation?

1. University Accomodation Service

Address: Kellet Lodge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge, CB2 1QJ
Tel: +441223 333316 and +441223 338099
Email: accommodation.service@admin.cam.ac.uk
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00-12:45 and 14:00-16:45

You can register with the University Accommodation Service at their website. Alternative, go visit their office and they will be able to give you a list of places with rooms to rent and contact numbers, all for the cost of photocopying.

2. Ring other colleges.

Some Colleges have a surplus of accommodation and will accept students from other Colleges. Almost all of the College accommodation is subsidized, although this is soon to gradually start changing with many Colleges’ rents approaching market prices.

3. Cambridge Accommodation noticeboard

This is a very useful notice board with constant postings of rooms/flats/houses for rent.

4. Physical noticeboards

You can find them at the Graduate Union, the University Centre and in colleges and departments.

5. Cambridge Letting agencies – Database

Letting Agencies will find you somewhere for a fee of about £100. You will also need to collect references from your bank, which will cost you even more money. It is important to shop around the agencies to find the best deal and make sure you get a receipt for any payments you make. Also note that they cannot charge you for a list of available accommodation or circulating your name(s) to landlords.

6. Others

Check out the Cambridge Evening News (the most extensive ‘To Let’ listings)

Accommodation Costs

Market rents in Cambridge are not cheap. You should expect to pay approximately the following, or maybe even higher:

* estimated figures – for general reference only

It is possible to find cheaper accommodation if you are prepared to travel and do not mind the area you live in.

More information on how to find a place to live in Cambridge can be found on the Cambridge University Graduate Union website.

Accommodation for Temporary Stay

There are several places where you can stay whilst sorting out your permanent accommodation for your stay in Cambridge.

1. College guest room

It may be possible to rent college guest rooms (depends on college) for a few nights while you find somewhere to live. These rooms are usually conveniently located on College grounds.

2. Youth Hostel

Cambridge Youth Hostel (YHA)

Address: 97 Tenison Road, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB1 2DN
Website: http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/cambridge
Phone: +44 845 371 9728
Email: cambridge@yha.org.uk

YHA Cambridge as seen from Tenison Road

Address: Queen Anne House, Gonville Place, Cambridge, CB1 1ND
Website: https://theymca.org.uk/
Phone: +441223356998
Email: admin@theymca.org.uk

YMCA Cambridgeshire

3. Look up at the websites below for available listings:

Cambridge Accommodation Service Hostelworld
Airbnb Booking.com